One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fuming toxic liquid with powerful oxidizing properties.
- ‘The concentrations of the phospholipids were determined by phosphate assay subsequent to total digestion by perchloric acid.’
- ‘We used perchloric acid because we found it much more effective at dissolving fluoride residues than either hydrochloric or nitric acid.’
- ‘Simultaneously, hydrogen ions are produced, which react with the perchlorate ions making perchloric acid.’
- ‘The term superacids was introduced into the chemical literature in 1927 by James Conant and Norris Hall to describe solutions of sulfuric or perchloric acid in glacial acetic acid.’
- ‘Flint is over 99% silica, which is broken down and removed with hydrofluoric acid, followed by dissolution of the remaining elements in perchloric acid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.