One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A closely woven fine cotton fabric.as modifier ‘six fine percale sheets’
- ‘Flannel is a cotton fabric that is brushed on one side for warmth and extra softness; percale is a finely woven, smooth fabric (all cotton or a blend) with a minimum thread count of 180.’
- ‘He weeps on his 400-count percale sheets and cradles a gold coin his invisible pop passed along in lieu of fatherly love and support.’
- ‘Interested in knowing how much I move about while sleeping, in order to make an informed decision on easy-care or Egyptian percale bed linen, I thought I'd employ the full technical capability of my camera to find out.’
- ‘The sheets and pillow cases are 220 thread count 100% cotton percale in bright white with a black twist cord detail.’
- ‘For curtains, go with something like percale or chintz.’
Early 17th century: from French, of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.