Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A salt which is an oxidized borate containing a peroxide linkage, especially a sodium salt of this kind used as a bleach.‘one of the common peroxide bleaches, perborate, produces boron when it breaks down’count noun ‘it is obtained by action of acids on hydrated barium dioxide or from perborates’
- ‘Sodium chlorite, hypochlorite, perborate, and peroxide are used to bleach paper, cotton, and rayon.’
- ‘This fabric may yellow so it should be bleached frequently with sodium perborate bleach.’
- ‘These solid bleaches contain ingredients like perborate or percarbonate - compounds that react in water to release hydrogen peroxide.’
- ‘Of the peroxy type bleaches, sodium perborate is the least expensive.’
- ‘If stains remain after several washings, try bleaching white cottons and linens with chlorine or sodium perborate bleach.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.