One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
By a specified amount in every thousand.‘foreign holidays account for 30 per mille of the cost of living’
- ‘The river water is saline below 0.7 per mille, while the water in the Aral Sea was brackish with salinity at approximately 9 per mille.’
- ‘The delta 13 C values averaged 11.0 per mil and the delta 15 N values averaged 7.5 per mil.’
- ‘Discrepancies of several per mil appear to be possible.’
- ‘There we go, you see, we have a grid there, which gives you your count in millions per mil.’
- ‘All data are reported as per mil deviation from the V-PDB international standard.’
Late 17th century: Latin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.