Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
By a specified amount in every thousand.‘foreign holidays account for 30 per mille of the cost of living’
- ‘All data are reported as per mil deviation from the V-PDB international standard.’
- ‘The delta 13 C values averaged 11.0 per mil and the delta 15 N values averaged 7.5 per mil.’
- ‘Discrepancies of several per mil appear to be possible.’
- ‘There we go, you see, we have a grid there, which gives you your count in millions per mil.’
- ‘The river water is saline below 0.7 per mille, while the water in the Aral Sea was brackish with salinity at approximately 9 per mille.’
Late 17th century: Latin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.