One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lesion in the lining (mucosa) of the digestive tract, typically in the stomach or duodenum, caused by the digestive action of pepsin and stomach acid.
- ‘Women, especially those aged over 70 years with coexisting cardiac disease and previous peptic ulcers, are at greatest risk.’
- ‘Raw cabbage coats the digestive tract lining and helps relieve peptic ulcers and heartburn.’
- ‘Although we did detect more peptic ulcers, it is symptom resolution that matters.’
- ‘The most significant side effect is the possibility of developing a peptic ulcer and kidney disease.’
- ‘This anomaly, known as an anulur pancreas, may cause duodenal obstruction at birth or later in life and also may be associated with pancreatitis, peptic ulcers, or malignant disease in adults.’
- ‘These tumors, called gastrinomas, secrete large amounts of the hormone gastrin, which causes excessive production of acid by your stomach, leading to peptic ulcers.’
- ‘You might have different tests to try to rule out other conditions such as heart problems, peptic ulcers or hiatus hernias.’
- ‘Ischaemic heart disease, diabetes, peptic ulcers, diverticulitis, appendicitis, varicose veins and tooth caries are also ‘diseases of civilisation’.’
- ‘Gastric and duodenal peptic ulcers are significant health care problems that cause pain and suffering for millions of people.’
- ‘Histamine-induced hypersecretion may cause gastritis, peptic ulcers, and diarrhea, and ultimately, malabsorption may occur.’
- ‘The most commonly missed upper gastrointestinal lesions are erosions in large hiatal hernias, arteriovenous malformations, and peptic ulcers.’
- ‘Smoking and drinking can contribute to the development of peptic ulcers because they irritate the stomach lining and reduce mucus production.’
- ‘In all patients who had endoscopy, 26 percent had esophagitis, 8.7 percent had a peptic ulcer and 2.4 percent had malignant disease.’
- ‘Some evidence suggests an association between depression and hypertension, peptic ulcers, and diabetes.’
- ‘It produces excessive gastrin, resulting in disproportionate amounts of hydrochloric acid and pepsin leading to severe peptic ulcer disease.’
- ‘This can irritate and inflame the lining of the stomach (a condition known as gastritis) or cause peptic ulcers, which are sores or holes that form in the lining of the stomach or the duodenum and cause pain or bleeding.’
- ‘A peptic ulcer is an area of damage to the lining of either the stomach or the duodenum (the part of the digestive tract that immediately follows the stomach).’
- ‘The bacteria that can cause peptic ulcers are contagious.’
- ‘A giant duodenal ulcer is a full-thickness peptic ulcer that is 2 cm or larger in diameter.’
- ‘Some doctors believe that more children get drug-related gastric ulcers than other types of peptic ulcers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.