Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to digestion, especially that in which pepsin is concerned.‘peptic activity’
- ‘Helicobacter pylori is believed to be a major causative agent of human peptic disorders including chronic gastritis and ulcers.’
- ‘In the rabbits given human gastric juice, peptic activity was detected in the lavage fluid in 8 of 8 animals at 15 minutes, 6 of 8 at 30 minutes, and 5 of 8 at 60 minutes.’
- ‘They are also at risk for peptic strictures, which may obstruct the esophagus and result in dysphagia.’
- ‘However, studies have not found a link between alcohol consumption and peptic ulcers, and drinking decaffeinated coffee produces the same amount of acid secretion as its caffeinated counterpart.’
- ‘Absence of blood rules against peptic disease.’
Mid 17th century: from Greek peptikos able to digest.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.