Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Beef and pork sausage seasoned with pepper.
- ‘Nearly two-thirds of all restaurant visits include French fries, pepperoni, potato salad or jelly filling.’
- ‘I'm also going to look for the best pepperoni pizza in Seattle.’
- ‘Since my beer was free, I had a little extra money to order a pizza with pepperoni and onions.’
- ‘Everyone decided on three different kinds of pizza: cheese, pepperoni, and everything.’
- ‘He called the number and ordered the two pepperoni and sausage pizzas aright after Aaron left to pick up Fanny.’
- ‘Why stop with just one meat when you can drown a pizza in pepperoni, sausage, ham, bacon, beef, and pork toppings?’
- ‘Then you just layer on the chopped tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and pepperoni or salami and put it back into the oven.’
- ‘Yes, fatty hamburgers, pepperoni, bacon, and ribs are unhealthy and should be eaten only occasionally, if at all.’
- ‘Add soy pepperoni to veggie pizza, or combine sliced soy sausage with peppers, onions and potatoes for a hearty stir-fry.’
- ‘It was morning and we were all sitting on the floor in my bedroom eating leftover pepperoni and hamburger pizza for breakfast.’
- ‘Anyway, I got a large pizza with pepperoni, mushrooms and peppers.’
- ‘She's complaining because I ordered pepperoni on one and sausage on the other.’
- ‘They'd forgotten not to put pepperoni on the pizza we ordered last night,’
- ‘Add tomatoes, stock, beans, pepperoni or ham, chilli powder and basil.’
- ‘There's pork mince, peppers, pepperoni, ham, pineapple, tomato purée and herbs in it.’
- ‘And it's not just how much pepperoni goes on the pizza or how much mayo goes in the tuna.’
- ‘Skip the pepperoni, sausage, bacon or extra cheese since these add fat, saturated fat and cholesterol to the pizza.’
- ‘Choose a salad instead of French fries, or cheese pizza instead of pepperoni, she advised.’
- ‘There were four slices with everything on it, two slices of cheese and one pepperoni and sausage.’
- ‘The only drawback is the lack of sausage and pepperoni, but pork isn't very healthy anyway.’
From Italian peperone ‘chilli’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.