Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Beef and pork sausage seasoned with pepper.
- ‘Anyway, I got a large pizza with pepperoni, mushrooms and peppers.’
- ‘It was morning and we were all sitting on the floor in my bedroom eating leftover pepperoni and hamburger pizza for breakfast.’
- ‘Add soy pepperoni to veggie pizza, or combine sliced soy sausage with peppers, onions and potatoes for a hearty stir-fry.’
- ‘Choose a salad instead of French fries, or cheese pizza instead of pepperoni, she advised.’
- ‘He called the number and ordered the two pepperoni and sausage pizzas aright after Aaron left to pick up Fanny.’
- ‘They'd forgotten not to put pepperoni on the pizza we ordered last night,’
- ‘Yes, fatty hamburgers, pepperoni, bacon, and ribs are unhealthy and should be eaten only occasionally, if at all.’
- ‘Since my beer was free, I had a little extra money to order a pizza with pepperoni and onions.’
- ‘Nearly two-thirds of all restaurant visits include French fries, pepperoni, potato salad or jelly filling.’
- ‘Skip the pepperoni, sausage, bacon or extra cheese since these add fat, saturated fat and cholesterol to the pizza.’
- ‘I'm also going to look for the best pepperoni pizza in Seattle.’
- ‘There were four slices with everything on it, two slices of cheese and one pepperoni and sausage.’
- ‘Everyone decided on three different kinds of pizza: cheese, pepperoni, and everything.’
- ‘Why stop with just one meat when you can drown a pizza in pepperoni, sausage, ham, bacon, beef, and pork toppings?’
- ‘The only drawback is the lack of sausage and pepperoni, but pork isn't very healthy anyway.’
- ‘She's complaining because I ordered pepperoni on one and sausage on the other.’
- ‘There's pork mince, peppers, pepperoni, ham, pineapple, tomato purée and herbs in it.’
- ‘Then you just layer on the chopped tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and pepperoni or salami and put it back into the oven.’
- ‘And it's not just how much pepperoni goes on the pizza or how much mayo goes in the tuna.’
- ‘Add tomatoes, stock, beans, pepperoni or ham, chilli powder and basil.’
From Italian peperone chilli.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.