One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of shrubs or trees that have aromatic leaves or fruit with a pepper-like smell.See also kawa-kawa
- ‘He claimed that he could in some sense merge with the insects and the leaves on the pepper tree.’
- ‘Those exotics, which are considered nuisance plants, include Brazilian pepper trees and Australian pines.’
- ‘The pepper tree is a climber; on plantations it is usually grown on other trees - betel, palm, or mango - as its cordlike stems need support.’
- ‘Here's a great way to show off the beautiful red berries of the California pepper tree.’
- ‘Breakfast is taken either on the verandah or beneath a pepper tree in the garden and it is here that the schedule is drawn up for the day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.