One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An aerosol spray containing oils derived from cayenne pepper, irritant to the eyes and respiratory passages and used as a disabling weapon.
- ‘It was thought likely that the 35 feeling unwell did so as a result of the pepper spray used by police on the man.’
- ‘Doug had hoped he would not need his pepper spray, and only saw some minor bear signs on the way up.’
- ‘He stuck the pepper spray out the window and started to deploy that at our officer.’
- ‘At this instant, reaching nervously for his pepper spray, he told me I was going to jail for being dangerously drunk.’
- ‘Not until then had she thought that bringing her pepper spray would've been a good idea, but it was too late then.’
- ‘The effects of the spray are similar to the milder pepper spray which targets the eyes, nose and mouth.’
- ‘He also believes that one of the men may have smelt pungently after his escape as the pepper spray would have hung on his clothes for some time.’
- ‘When he got stopped a few months ago he sprayed pepper spray in the face of a police officer.’
- ‘If pepper spray is not legal to use, there are other options that you can carry that are perfectly legal to carry.’
- ‘After the attack, the officers doused the man in pepper spray to try to disable him.’
- ‘Police moved up behind us and a moment or two later sprayed pepper spray into the crowd.’
- ‘Get pepper spray and spray it liberally around the boundaries of your property.’
- ‘She backed into a corner, holding the pepper spray out before her, like a crucifix to ward off a vampire.’
- ‘This is where you pull the trigger, push the button on your pepper spray, call for backup or any number of other actions.’
- ‘I thought of arming myself with pepper spray as a weapon but never got any, or needed it.’
- ‘I tried to explain to him but he sprayed pepper spray on my eyes.’
- ‘Sorry, I'm just in a bad mood because the pepper spray is still wearing off.’
- ‘My hand curled around the pepper spray in my coat pocket, but then I recognized the driver when he switched a light on.’
- ‘One can only imagine the effect pepper spray has on those with asthma or other respiratory problems.’
- ‘Witnesses also reported the use of pepper spray and rubber bullets to control the angry protesters who had defied a ban to march.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.