One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rich outer robe or shawl worn by women in ancient Greece, hanging in loose folds and sometimes drawn over the head.
- ‘I stepped on her peplos so she wouldn't be able to pull herself up and run away.’
- ‘She began to fidget, clutching her peplos and grasping it tightly until her knuckles turned white.’
- ‘I wrapped a himation around myself and dressed in a peplos.’
- ‘Picking up the skirts of her peplos, she ran towards me.’
- ‘I dried myself the best I could and was hesitant to wrap myself in the peplos and then the himation and finally the veil.’
- ‘The long blonde curls piled high on her head with glorious cascades of golden silk falling against the top of her classical Greek peplos.’
- ‘Women of Athens wove the peplos or robe to be presented to the statue of Athena Polias on the Acropolis, embroidered with a scene of the battle with the Giants.’
- ‘Here the goddess wears her high-crested helmet, and a himation replaces her aegis over the peplos.’
- ‘Her arms were scraped, her himation had torn off, and her peplos was tearing.’
- ‘Her himation is pulled up over her head, and covers much of her peplos, which is decorated with a dotted lozenge.’
- ‘I was about to stop her when she dropped her peplos.’
- ‘I was still dressed in my peplos and himation but they were soiled.’
- ‘I felt his tears through the thin linen of my peplos.’
- ‘I cried, cursing the skirts of the peplos as I ran.’
- ‘I shrugged off the peplos on my right shoulder.’
- ‘Putting the peplos on the talisman was an act of simple magic.’
- ‘So expert advice was available to Durer on how to adapt the astronomical devices from Geometry's peplos to more contemporary interests.’
- ‘I pulled off my peplos angrily and threw it aside.’
- ‘I dressed in my favorite blue peplos with a belt of gold rope.’
- ‘Clad in the white peplos of a Greek goddess and elegantly coiffed, she gazes unemotional and aloof at the grisly head on her platter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.