One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘These forms typically include serfdom, indentured labor, debt peonage, convict labor, ‘wage slavery,’ and forms of elite slavery, in addition to plantation slavery.’
- ‘It is even more doubtful whether the colonialists often actually intended the physical extermination of indigenous peoples rather than their displacement, peonage, or enslavement, and conversion to Christianity.’
- ‘The masses, having lived in peonage and slavery under their old masters, fell into a similar yet more industrialized status as United States firms moved onto the island in search of cheap labor and tax benefits.’
- ‘The transaction carries overtones of moves to reduce the autonomy of rural African Americans with the debt peonage of sharecropping or exploitation in industrial mills.’
- ‘Practices specifically outlawed - such as debt peonage, where subjects are trapped in an unending cycle of indebtedness for necessities of life which cannot be overcome through their labor - were in reality widespread.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.