One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the class of simple sugars whose molecules contain five carbon atoms, such as ribose and xylose. They generally have the chemical formula C₅H₁₀O₅.
- ‘The salvage pathways combine adenine with a pentose to alter the adenosine nucleotide pool inventory.’
- ‘The pentose sugars, whose molecules contain only five carbon atoms instead of six, caramelize very well.’
- ‘The pentose phosphate pathway is primarily an anabolic pathway that utilizes the 6 carbons of glucose to generate 5 carbon sugars and reducing equivalents.’
- ‘This is an important point since this enzyme plays an essential role in the oxidative pentose phosphate pathway and, therefore, in plant metabolism.’
- ‘In fact as much as 10% of glucose consumption, by erythrocytes, may be mediated by the pentose phosphate pathway.’
Late 19th century: from penta- ‘five’ + -ose.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.