[mass noun] A synthetic compound that is a potent non-addictive analgesic, often given during childbirth.
- ‘All patients were premedicated with pentazocine 30 min before the test.’
- ‘Other medications that have caused occasional interaction during the perioperative period include fentanyl, carbamazepine, and pentazocine.’
- ‘The researchers found that redheaded women were able to tolerate more pain than other people when given an analgesic drug called pentazocine.’
- ‘An expert panel determined, for example, that pain relievers like meperidine and pentazocine carry more risk than benefit for the elderly.’
- ‘Meperidine or pentazocine are recommended by some physicians.’
1960s: from pentane + azo- + octa- + -ine.