One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A volatile liquid hydrocarbon of the alkane series, present in petroleum spirit.
- ‘Acetone-free polish removers contain safer fruit-derived solvents like ethyl acetate and methyl pentane.’
- ‘Extra chemical agents are usually added to the solution: detergents such as octyl thioglucoside, octyl glucoside, octyl glucopyranoside, organic solvents such as pentane, hexane, or other chemicals such as glucose or glycerol.’
- ‘The pentane molecule, however, has neither hydrogen bonding nor polar groups to be attracted to water molecules.’
- ‘After thawing, the volatile components were extracted three times with 50 ml pentane.’
- ‘Like pentane, paraffins are alkanes - hydrocarbon molecules that have as many hydrogen atoms as the molecule's carbon backbone can accommodate.’
Late 19th century: from Greek pente ‘five’ (denoting five carbon atoms) + a shortened form of alkane.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.