Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A synthetic antibiotic drug used chiefly in the treatment of PCP infection.
- ‘Sodium antimony gluconate and pentamidine have been used as the first and second line drugs respectively.’
- ‘For patients that cannot tolerate any of these drugs, weekly inhaled pentamidine is used.’
- ‘Aerosolized pentamidine and dapsone are believed to be safe during pregnancy; however, pyrimethamine should be used with caution.’
- ‘The growing problem of drug resistance to pentamidine and melarsoprol has driven clinicians to consider combination chemotherapy regimens.’
- ‘Dapsone and inhaled pentamidine are commonly employed alternatives to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxasole, but appear to be somewhat less effective in preventing PCP.’
1940s: from pentane + amide + -ine.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.