A synthetic antibiotic drug used chiefly in the treatment of PCP infection.
- ‘The growing problem of drug resistance to pentamidine and melarsoprol has driven clinicians to consider combination chemotherapy regimens.’
- ‘For patients that cannot tolerate any of these drugs, weekly inhaled pentamidine is used.’
- ‘Sodium antimony gluconate and pentamidine have been used as the first and second line drugs respectively.’
- ‘Aerosolized pentamidine and dapsone are believed to be safe during pregnancy; however, pyrimethamine should be used with caution.’
- ‘Dapsone and inhaled pentamidine are commonly employed alternatives to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxasole, but appear to be somewhat less effective in preventing PCP.’
1940s: from pentane + amide + -ine.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.