One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Having parts arranged in groups of five.
- ‘These species are notable for the plesiomorphic retention of venation (albeit already quite reduced) in their tegmina, segmented cerci, and pentamerous tarsi.’
- ‘The zygomorphic, pentamerous and spurred flowers are approximately 15 x 12 mm in diameter.’
- ‘Most basal Eudicots are dimerous or trimerous, with only occasionally pentamerous types (Sabiaceae, Ranunculaceae) which represent homoplasious trends.’
- ‘He expressed the possibility that the pentamerous condition of the water vascular system might be ‘rigidly programmed into the developmental process.’’
- ‘The large number of strictly pentamerous families of starfish support the interpretation that there is ‘rigid control’ of pentamerism.’
- 1.1 Consisting of five joints or parts.Compare with pentameral
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.