One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of symmetry) fivefold, as typical of many echinoderms.Compare with pentamerous
- ‘The echinoderm body plan has pentameral symmetry, a water vascular system and a ring-shaped nervous system.’
- ‘Members of the Early Cambrian classes tend to have rather simple morphology with short stems, poorly developed pentameral symmetry, and numerous plates; in addition, diversity was low with only one or two genera occurring together.’
- ‘However, holothurians retain pentameral (five-rayed) symmetry, with five rows of tube feet running from the mouth along the body.’
- ‘The most distinctive thing about echinoderm appearance is their pentameral - that is, a five fold - radial symmetry.’
- ‘The distinctive pentameral symmetry of this specimen has no close similarity to figured articular facets of fossil and recent hyocrinids.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.