Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of symmetry) fivefold, as typical of many echinoderms.Compare with pentamerous
- ‘The echinoderm body plan has pentameral symmetry, a water vascular system and a ring-shaped nervous system.’
- ‘The distinctive pentameral symmetry of this specimen has no close similarity to figured articular facets of fossil and recent hyocrinids.’
- ‘However, holothurians retain pentameral (five-rayed) symmetry, with five rows of tube feet running from the mouth along the body.’
- ‘The most distinctive thing about echinoderm appearance is their pentameral - that is, a five fold - radial symmetry.’
- ‘Members of the Early Cambrian classes tend to have rather simple morphology with short stems, poorly developed pentameral symmetry, and numerous plates; in addition, diversity was low with only one or two genera occurring together.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.