One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The euphemistic or cryptic language supposedly used among high-ranking US military personnel.
- ‘‘Synergism’ is Pentagonese for ‘choreographing a military ballet.’’
- ‘After ‘embedded’ was accredited in Pentagonese, TV news channels grabbed and ran with it, and it was free for all.’
- ‘Or, to borrow a phrase currently hip in Pentagonese, new ways of ‘degrading’ the language.’
- ‘What Iraq suffers from most, it seems, is a shortage of trained memo writers and answers of ‘snowflakes’ (a Pentagonese expression that I think refers to urgent questions from the cabal.)’
- ‘Seriously though, the funniest part of the story is the Pentagonese for ‘lapdance’ is ‘client-focused exotic dancing.’’
1950s: from pentagon + -ese.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.