One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The study of the punishment of crime and of prison management.
- ‘‘The history of penology,’ he went on, ‘is the saddest chapter in the history of civilization.’’
- ‘Over the course of the 20th century the practice of penology has witnessed a fierce struggle between proponents of punishment and proponents of rehabilitation.’
- ‘With penology and prisons came the idea of rehabilitation, again somewhat inappropriate given the difference in civilian and military perceptions of undesirable character traits.’
- ‘Such an epistemological approach to crime and penology is undoubtedly one of the study's major strengths.’
- ‘He contributed ideas on education, political economy, psychology, penology, law, history, and political theory, which he set out in five books and over 1,000 essays.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin poena ‘penalty’ + -logy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.