Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Pasta in the form of short wide tubes.‘penne with tomato and anchovy sauce’
- ‘Diners choose from spaghetti, fettuccine, penne and capellini noodles and 10 sauces.’
- ‘Cook the penne pasta as per directions on the box.’
- ‘Ginger had black olive penne pasta with tomato, basil and black olives, topped with Parmesan shavings.’
- ‘It's the homemade and reasonably priced pasta, gnocchi, penne and lasagne that are the biggest draws, however, with spinach, herb, pumpkin and squid ink pastas all available in various styles and with various sauces.’
- ‘There's a very simple, effective penne pasta tossed with Italian sausage in a basil-flecked tomato cream; at $6 it's enough to share.’
- ‘I opened the plastic bag of animals, bade her to play, and went upstairs to cook the sausage for the penne pasta.’
- ‘I've tried spaghetti, fusilli, penne, tagliatelle, linguini and those funny shell-shaped ones.’
- ‘Combining contemporary and traditional dishes, there are pizzas, such as BBQ chicken & bacon, and tempting pastas like penne Arrabiatta with Cajun chicken.’
- ‘My second attempt at a main course was garganelli pasta (like large penne with ridges) with roasted chestnuts, virgin olive oil, sage and Parmesan cheese at £15.36.’
- ‘Garganelli pasta is like penne but the tube is ridged so it holds more sauce.’
- ‘Place penne pasta into the boiling water and cook according to package directions.’
- ‘I usually try to order the penne pasta at Italian restaurants because they tend to give you less than if you order the longer noodles, especially the angelhair pasta.’
- ‘All sorts of pasta can be used, from thin sheets of lasagne to stubby penne or rigatoni.’
- ‘Last time, the penne pasta wasn't fresh enough.’
- ‘Serve the steak with hot, buttered noodles sprinkled with chopped parsley or penne pasta topped with your favorite marinara sauce.’
- ‘I ordered the chicken and penne pasta, with a beer.’
- ‘The penne salad comes with ‘Italian style chicken, tomato, spinach and basil in a light red pesto dressing’ and has just 266 calories.’
- ‘We were spoilt for choice, tempted by the range of delicious-sounding starters and main courses - pizzas or pastas, penne or fusilli, meat dishes or seafood stew.’
- ‘Next is a page with 17 Pasta selections with spaghetti, fettuccine, penne, gnocchi, tortelli, lasagne and tortellini.’
- ‘If you don't have any corkscrew-shaped fusilli, then quill-like penne or almost any tubular pasta is just as good.’
Italian, plural of penna ‘quill’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.