Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Supposed envy of the male's possession of a penis, postulated by Freud to account for some aspects of female behaviour (notably the castration complex) but controversial among modern theorists.
- ‘There is doubt about penis envy and castration anxieties being the major contributing factor to the development of perversion.’
- ‘By shifting the blame we ended up with the theories of penis envy for women, and castration anxiety for men.’
- ‘The female phallic stage is not simply and negatively arrested at the level of penis envy, as Freud thought; a daughter may be used just as well as a son by the mother for narcissistic completion.’
- ‘It's not too difficult to detect themes about phallic power, penis envy, castration fears, and a miscellaneous collection of heterosexual and homosexual issues.’
- ‘Now before we all start harping on about penis envy, let's keep in mind that Freud says every dream is the fulfillment of a disguised wish.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.