Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An antibiotic or group of antibiotics produced naturally by certain blue moulds, now usually prepared synthetically. Penicillin was discovered in 1928 and during the Second World War became the first antibiotic to be used by doctors.‘patients who are allergic to penicillin’[count noun] ‘penicillins and cephalosporins’
- ‘All the usual range of antibiotics, penicillins and cephalosporins are pretty much useless against these things.’
- ‘For the patient who is allergic to penicillins, the use of trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole is indicated.’
- ‘The antibiotics used were mainly cephalosporins, penicillins, fluoroquinolones, aminoglycosides, tetracyclines and antituberculosis drugs.’
- ‘Antibiotic categories to consider include penicillins, cephalosporins, and macrolides.’
- ‘Many were originally sensitive to antibiotics such as penicillins, but overuse of these drugs has resulted in many multi-resistant bacteria.’
- ‘Within these two therapeutic drug classes, penicillins were identified 22 times, cephalosporins 21 times, and opioids 20 times.’
- ‘In general, cephalosporins and penicillins are not very effective in treating acne.’
- ‘The surprising finding was that people who had reacted to sulphonamides were more likely to react to penicillins than to sulphonamide non-antibiotics.’
- ‘Most antibiotics such as penicillins, cyclosporines, and aminoglycosides can be used safely during pregnancy, but tetracyclines should be avoided.’
- ‘Major classes of antibiotics include tetracyclines, aminoglycosides, penicillins, cephalosporins, fluoroquinolones, streptogramins, sulfonamides, and erythromycins.’
- ‘While the incidence of true cross-reactivity between penicillins and cephalosporins is low, the possible reactions include anaphylaxis, which can be fatal.’
- ‘Exanthematous eruptions most commonly occur in association with the administration of penicillins or cephalosporins.’
- ‘It is well established that far less expensive antibiotics, including the penicillins and tetracyclines, are highly effective against Anthrax.’
- ‘The aminopenicillins were the first penicillins discovered to be active against gram-negative rods such as E. coli and H. influenzae.’
- ‘Studies from the late 1960s and the 1970s revealed that streptococcal eradication was equal with intramuscularly and orally administered penicillins.’
- ‘Oral antibiotics are usually used in the treatment and include first-generation cephalosporins, penicillinase-resistant penicillins, macrolides, and fluoroquinolones.’
- ‘Overuse of antibiotics has been shown to drive the evolution of mutant strains of bacteria immune to a broad spectrum of drugs, including penicillins, cephalosporins, and quinolones.’
- ‘Enterococci are inherently resistant to cephalosporins, semi-synthetic penicillins, and clindamycin.’
- ‘The lactams are a family of antimicrobial agents consisting of four major groups: penicillins, cephalosporins, monobactams, and carbapenems.’
- ‘Unlike Streptococcus pneumoniae, group A beta-hemolytic streptococci have not developed resistance to penicillins.’
2A blue mould of a type that produces penicillin.
From the modern Latin genus name Penicillium (see penicillium)+ -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.