Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a process) occurring immediately after deposition of a particular stratum.
- ‘The occurrence of penecontemporaneous flood basalt volcanism in the region further suggests that the uplift was caused by a rising mantle plume.’
- ‘A penecontemporaneous river, the Walshville channel, restricted peat deposition along its course, and later deposited thick elastics over the peat.’
- ‘The depositional facies are consistent with penecontemporaneous, explosive volcanism.’
- ‘The unit is composed of rhythmically bedded marls, horizons of laminated organic-rich black shales, rare marly limestones, clastic turbidites, and penecontemporaneous slumps.’
- ‘Faunal comparisons suggest a close similarity to the penecontemporaneous Gidley Quarry fauna, Montana, with a taxonomic diversity consistent with other co-eval faunas in the Western Interior of the United States.’
Early 20th century: from Latin paene almost + contemporaneous.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.