One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A try awarded to a side by the referee when a touchdown is prevented by an offence by the opposition.
- ‘They were awarded a penalty and opted for the scrum which was reformed twice and then, inexplicably, the referee awarded a penalty try under the posts.’
- ‘Rather than award a penalty try the referee decided on a scrum.’
- ‘It took a technical offence to wear them down, with the referee awarding a penalty try after the home scrum misbehaved.’
- ‘The referee had no hesitation in awarding a second penalty try to level the scores and with the conversion in front of the posts the tie was settled with the last kick of the game.’
- ‘Under real pressure, the visitors conceded a number of penalties before the referee decided enough was enough and awarded a penalty try.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.