One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A try awarded to a side by the referee when a touchdown is prevented by an offence by the opposition.
- ‘They were awarded a penalty and opted for the scrum which was reformed twice and then, inexplicably, the referee awarded a penalty try under the posts.’
- ‘Rather than award a penalty try the referee decided on a scrum.’
- ‘Under real pressure, the visitors conceded a number of penalties before the referee decided enough was enough and awarded a penalty try.’
- ‘It took a technical offence to wear them down, with the referee awarding a penalty try after the home scrum misbehaved.’
- ‘The referee had no hesitation in awarding a second penalty try to level the scores and with the conversion in front of the posts the tie was settled with the last kick of the game.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.