One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The point within the penalty area from which penalty kicks are taken.
- ‘Internal disharmony and a fallibility from the penalty spot have proved to be their weaknesses.’
- ‘So far England have scored two goals in three games, the first from a corner kick and the second from the penalty spot.’
- ‘Without so much as a glance towards his assistant referee, the referee pointed to the penalty spot.’
- ‘The opening goal of the game came from the penalty spot with only two minutes remaining in the first half.’
- ‘In a game of few scoring chances the visitors went ahead midway through the opening half from the penalty spot.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.