Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The point within the penalty area from which penalty kicks are taken.
- ‘So far England have scored two goals in three games, the first from a corner kick and the second from the penalty spot.’
- ‘Without so much as a glance towards his assistant referee, the referee pointed to the penalty spot.’
- ‘Internal disharmony and a fallibility from the penalty spot have proved to be their weaknesses.’
- ‘The opening goal of the game came from the penalty spot with only two minutes remaining in the first half.’
- ‘In a game of few scoring chances the visitors went ahead midway through the opening half from the penalty spot.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.