One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An increased rate of pay for overtime or for work performed under abnormal conditions.
- ‘Many of the clergy have expressed concern about the impact of the proposed reforms on the family, on the pattern of public holidays, on the importance of overtime and penalty rates and so on.’
- ‘He told the Sun Herald that weekend rates, overtime and penalty rates could be bargained away, rendering the 38-hour week entirely meaningless.’
- ‘Prior to the election the National Party told the public of New Zealand that the Employment Contracts Act, or its legislation, would not cut penalty rates or overtime.’
- ‘The decision delivered casual workers in the metal industry increased penalty rates, improved minimum start times and access to the option of permanent employment after 6 months service.’
- ‘In the absence of a specific award provision, a shift allowance is regarded as a penalty rate, that is only payable when work is performed on that shift.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.