One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A punishment awarded by the courts for a driving offence and recorded cumulatively on a person's driving licence.
- ‘A penalty point system for these offences would enhance the standing and reputation of taxi drivers, he said.’
- ‘A decision has yet to be made on whether drivers not carrying their licence will face a penalty point.’
- ‘In 37 years of driving I have never, ever received a ticket or a fine or a single penalty point for exceeding the speed limit anywhere, by even a decimal point.’
- ‘About 46 per cent of drivers caught for penalty point offences have managed to wriggle out of paying fines, according to the latest available figures.’
- ‘From a penalty point of view, the decision about what offence the offender should be charged with becomes more important than the decision of the judge.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.