One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player who plays while their own team is reduced through a penalty, especially one skilled at preventing the opposing team from scoring.
- ‘He's physical, a good penalty killer and is younger than 30.’
- ‘The team in the next round might have better penalty killers, squelching the opportunity to win on special teams.’
- ‘The penalty killers need to maintain their smothering style and the power play needs to turn it up.’
- ‘The penalty killers have been together a long time, and they know each other well.’
- ‘The addition of the player, a hard-hitting penalty killer, should help.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.