Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A free kick at the goal from the penalty spot (which only the goalkeeper is allowed to defend), awarded to the attacking team after a foul within the penalty area by an opponent.
- ‘In soccer, particularly if the ref has given a penalty kick, the entire team will crowd around him, pushing, shoving and jostling him.’
- ‘Well, in the space of 132 seconds of extra time, France converted on a free kick to tie and then took advantage of a foul to score the winning goal on a penalty kick.’
- ‘Another solution might be to award a penalty kick against a player found guilty of swearing at an official in the way that free throws are awarded in basketball for such offences.’
- ‘England needed only a draw to qualify and seemed well on the way to getting at least that after being awarded a penalty kick shortly before half time.’
- ‘Images of him taking his shirt off in the final game have been more widely published and acclaimed than pictures of his penalty kick against Argentina.’
A place kick awarded to a team after an offence by an opponent.
- ‘Dundee striker blew a great chance to level when he saw his penalty kick saved.’
- ‘Kicking is an important part of the game; there is touch - kicking, re-starts, drop-goals, grubber kicks, box kicks and penalty kicks.’
- ‘Then 20 minutes after good play by the visiting backs and forward the scrumhalf equalised the score with a penalty kick.’
- ‘Of course, if the sending-off offence would also lead to a penalty kick, then committing the offence is almost never justifiable.’
- ‘By the turn around both sides had missed penalty kicks and both had drop-goal attempts fail, but in terms of breaching the opposition defence, there was little to report.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.