One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in rugby, hockey, etc.) a goal scored from a penalty.‘the home side managed to close the gap with a penalty goal’
- ‘Wayne Williams converted a penalty goal in the 30th minute.’
- ‘Hard as Monkstown tried in the second half they never looked like getting back into the contest and managed to score just one penalty goal.’
- ‘He ran and tackled hard, and he kicked a couple of penalty goals with that trusty boot of his.’
- ‘The sides shared three penalty goals in the first eight minutes.’
- ‘Chris Sansom completed the scoring with a penalty goal and two conversions.’
- ‘The match was then in the balance for quite a long while, with the opposition kicking a penalty goal to take the score to 8-5.’
- ‘It wasn't long before the Barbarians reduced the deficit with a penalty goal.’
- ‘Penalty goals to both sides meant that the game probably ended with the right result.’
- ‘In the past four years alone, the Wallabies have won three major trophies with penalty goals inside the last 60 seconds.’
- ‘Fortune did not favour the Ballon lads in this second round tie and they found themselves in arrears to a penalty goal after just 15 minutes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.