One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Socceranother term for penalty area
- ‘By the time the referee has sorted out all the pushing and shoving in the penalty box injury time is nearly over.’
- ‘Finally, the goalkeeper will normally come forward and punt it aimlessly into the opposition penalty box - not before first moving the ball another several yards forward.’
- ‘Until they reach the penalty box, Chelsea look like a team that could win the premiership’
- ‘He also caused some distraction in their penalty box and took his goal well.’
- ‘Yeah I know I was in line with the penalty box at that end - great view.’
An area beside the rink reserved for penalized players and an official who records penalties.
- ‘I'm very aggressive and very emotional, so I think I've done a good job staying out of the penalty box and taking aggressive penalties.’
- ‘He deals only in goals, and still spends hours practising his shooting with both feet from all areas of the penalty box.’
- ‘But they threw away a number of scoring opportunities in the penalty box area and wasted a number of stirring goal chances.’
- ‘Both teams had high expectations coming into the season, yet have struggled because they can't stay out of the penalty box.’
- ‘The two combatants then trundle off to the penalty box and the ‘real’ game resumes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.