Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Socceranother term for penalty area
- ‘Until they reach the penalty box, Chelsea look like a team that could win the premiership’
- ‘He also caused some distraction in their penalty box and took his goal well.’
- ‘Yeah I know I was in line with the penalty box at that end - great view.’
- ‘Finally, the goalkeeper will normally come forward and punt it aimlessly into the opposition penalty box - not before first moving the ball another several yards forward.’
- ‘By the time the referee has sorted out all the pushing and shoving in the penalty box injury time is nearly over.’
An area beside the rink reserved for penalized players and an official who records penalties.
- ‘But they threw away a number of scoring opportunities in the penalty box area and wasted a number of stirring goal chances.’
- ‘Both teams had high expectations coming into the season, yet have struggled because they can't stay out of the penalty box.’
- ‘I'm very aggressive and very emotional, so I think I've done a good job staying out of the penalty box and taking aggressive penalties.’
- ‘The two combatants then trundle off to the penalty box and the ‘real’ game resumes.’
- ‘He deals only in goals, and still spends hours practising his shooting with both feet from all areas of the penalty box.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.