One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The rectangular area marked out in front of each goal, within which a foul by a defender involves the award of a penalty kick and outside which the goalkeeper is not allowed to handle the ball.
- ‘His whole mental attitude in the penalty area is that if that ball comes into that space, I'll be there.’
- ‘It's time for the ref to do something ludicrous and give a penalty, even if the ball is nowhere near the penalty area.’
- ‘As a forward, you want to time your run into the penalty area and know that the ball will arrive at the right time.’
- ‘A free-out is a free-kick awarded to the defending team in their own penalty area.’
- ‘Now then, Croatia have a free-kick just outside the left edge of the penalty area.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.