One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large wedge-shaped bivalve mollusc of warm seas which burrows into the seabed where it attaches itself by strong byssus threads.
- ‘The top of this elegant accent table is hand-laid with pen shell to create an artistic pattern.’
- ‘The pen shell is the largest shellfish of the Adriatic sea, with a possible length of 1200 mm.’
- ‘Perfect for photography, the cave walls and rocky floor are filled with marine life, including pen shells and seahorses.’
- ‘Modern pinnoideans, or ‘pen shells,’ are shallowly to deeply endobyssate, equivalved, edentulous, ham-shaped bivalves with a single, slightly submerged, opisthodetic ligament.’
- ‘Included are pen shells, pearl oysters and a young Tridacna.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.