Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or situated within the bony pelvis.
- ‘People having abdominal, pelvic, or brain scans may be given special instructions in advance about eating and drinking.’
- ‘The bladder is a hollow, muscular organ situated deep in the pelvic cavity behind the ureter tubes.’
- ‘No malignant cells were found in the lymph nodes, omentum, or pelvic washings.’
- ‘These could be the testicles, the pelvic lymph glands and the skeleton.’
- ‘There was no extension into the endometrial cavity, nor into the pelvic peritoneum.’
- ‘The middle sacral artery may also provide a renal artery in cases of pelvic kidney.’
- ‘Diagnosis may not be obvious if pelvic involvement precedes active bowel disease, or if drainage is clear or mucoid.’
- ‘The anatomical location of the pelvic blood vessels puts them at risk for injury during hip surgery.’
- ‘To confirm the diagnosis, she had computed tomography of the abdomen, which showed extensive ascites but no obvious abdominal or pelvic mass.’
- ‘In many centres, especially in Europe, gynaecologists do not perform lymphadenectomy when pelvic lymph nodes are not suspicious.’
- ‘In contrast, benign pelvic lymph nodes averaged 1.7 cm in their greatest dimension.’
- ‘The laparoscope can be moved around within the abdominal or pelvic cavity to give several different views.’
- ‘These veins anastomose freely with neighboring lumbar, pelvic, and rectal veins.’
- ‘In some cases, it splits into two vessels, one of which remains in the pelvis to supply pelvic viscera.’
- ‘There was no significant lymphadenopathy of the pelvic and retroperitoneal lymph nodes.’
- ‘Injury after childbirth usually involves all the pelvic floor and pelvic organ supports, although sometimes only one organ may prolapse.’
- ‘Sometimes it takes a year or two for nerves or blood vessels in your pelvic area to heal.’
- ‘Ovarian or pelvic irradiation with or without treatment with alkylating agents may adversely affect female fertility and pregnancy outcome.’
- ‘The rectal shelf, representing pelvic metastasis of an intra-abdominal malignancy.’
- ‘Together they made significant contributions to the study of abdominal and pelvic viscera, vascular anatomy, and neuroanatomy.’
- 1.1 Relating to the renal pelvis.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.