One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The main field or group of cyclists in a race.
- ‘You can tell when you see him in the peloton that he is just excited to be here and racing.’
- ‘The five riders were picked up by a chase group which detached itself from the sluggish peloton.’
- ‘There are a lot of professional riders from Australia in the peloton that are not sprinters.’
- ‘The peloton had clicked into top gear from the very start on another baking-hot day in France.’
- ‘And he will again be one of the leading sprinters in the peloton throughout the race.’
- ‘As I said earlier, Australia has so many great cyclists in the peloton, yet there are only five slots.’
- ‘In mountainous stages the peloton is likely to become fragmented, but in flat stages a split is rare.’
- ‘At the start, it was dry, but the peloton was bunched together and very nervous.’
- ‘With that in mind, we'll surely see a lot of these two pulling hard at the sharp end of the peloton in the days to come.’
- ‘The nine-man breakaway is finally caught by the first of the two pelotons with the second peloton around a minute back.’
- ‘The relatively short history of American cyclists in the European peloton has worked to our advantage.’
- ‘I have not really had many opportunities to race in Europe, but I have against European pelotons in other locations.’
- ‘He is off the back of the peloton and is receiving treatment from the race doctor.’
- ‘Riders use every available bit of road, dirt, sidewalk or grass to get to the front of the peloton.’
- ‘That meant I had to race up front in the peloton all the time and had to react on every change and raise of pace.’
- ‘Like I said yesterday, my big goal was to make it to the base of the last climb with the peloton and I did.’
- ‘The U.S. team hoping to place a rider in an early breakaway, but the peloton did not let that happen.’
- ‘A peloton turned loose on a long stretch of pavement is the essence of bicycle racing.’
- ‘It is a week of racing that draws the most interest from spectators and media and is also the week of racing that hosts the strongest pelotons to race on North American soil.’
- ‘From there, they will be given some rope off the front as the peloton rolls along at a comfortable speed.’
French, literally ‘small ball’ (because of the concentrated grouping of the pack).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.