One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The fur, hair, or wool of a mammal.
hair, woolView synonyms
- ‘The pelage of these animals is soft, silky, and dense.’
- ‘The third color phase occurs during the first pelage of young wolves.’
- ‘The evolution of endothermic metabolic rates and pelage and plumage in the earliest mammals and birds, respectively, followed radically different sequential chronologies.’
- ‘The pelage lacks underfur and is usually some shade of brown.’
- ‘The pelage consists almost entirely of underfur; it is remarkably iridescent, fine, and silky.’
Early 19th century: from French, from Old French pel ‘hair’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.