One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A coarsely crystalline granite or other igneous rock with crystals several centimetres in length.‘tourmaline occurs mainly in granites, pegmatites, and greisens’mass noun, as modifier ‘pegmatite dykes’
- ‘Huge crystals of excellent color are still being found here in pegmatites.’
- ‘Apatite is the most common phosphate mineral found in granitic pegmatites.’
- ‘Ed would drill by hand and blast away the rock, exposing the pegmatite.’
- ‘It is a large area of granite hills in which numerous pegmatites have been found through the years.’
- ‘It has also been found as a constituent of granites and in granitic pegmatites.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek pēgma, pēgmat- ‘thing joined together’ + -ite.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.