One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of the class of peers who has the right to sit in the House of Lords.
aristocrat, lord, lady, peeress, noble, nobleman, noblewoman, titled man, titled person, titled woman, patrician, member of the aristocracy, member of the nobility, member of the peerageView synonyms
- ‘You have a decidedly low opinion of the peers of the realm, my lady.’
- ‘Yes, I know I can't get away with waking people up at eleven o'clock in the morning just because I'm a peer of the realm.’
- ‘Mystery surrounds the identity of a security consultant who posed as a peer of the realm throughout his adult life.’
- ‘Even in Britain a distinction was made between the peers of the realm and the gentry.’
- ‘But it's not my fault I've been raised in the household of a peer of the realm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.