One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who derives sexual pleasure from secretly watching people undressing or engaging in sexual activity.
- ‘He consents to being an admiring observer but not a peeping Tom.’
- ‘Some call it an open invitation to peeping Toms with camera phones.’
- ‘And I think I've got a pretty good idea of who our peeping Tom was.’
- ‘Look out also for how a shapely housewife helped the police to catch a peeping Tom.’
- ‘A peeping Tom used hidden cameras to videotape women in their house in Galway city.’
Mid 18th century: from the name of the person said to have watched Lady Godiva ride naked through Coventry (see Godiva, Lady).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.