One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The end of a hammer head opposite the face, typically wedge-shaped, curved, or spherical.in combination ‘a ball-peen hammer’
- ‘Besides the two ball peens, a one pound scaling hammer and a ten and a half pound handled sledge were offered.’
- ‘The other end is a ball-shaped peen for metal working.’
1Strike with a hammer or the peen of a hammer.‘each run of weld is peened before the next run is applied’
- ‘The entire massive plinth and the next solid moulding above it are left with a rough surface, dented by heavy hammers and not peened to a sheen.’
- ‘Short welds using a wandering sequence should be used and the weld should be peened as quickly as possible after welding.’
- ‘It is important to peen the weld metal while hot to help eliminate shrinkage, warpage, and possibly cracks.’
- 1.1another term for shot-peen
Early 16th century (as a verb): probably of Scandinavian origin; compare with Swedish dialect pena (ut), Danish dialect pene (ud) ‘beat (out)’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.