Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The stalk bearing a flower or fruit, or the main stalk of an inflorescence.Compare with pedicel
stem, shoot, trunk, stock, cane, bine, bent, haulm, straw, reedView synonyms
- ‘Grape berries are borne on the end of a stalk, the pedicel, which in turn is borne on the bunchstem, or peduncle.’
- ‘The plant was separated into roots, leaves, fruits, peduncle, and stem.’
- ‘Briefly, after harvesting, fruit peduncles were trimmed to uniform length with a scalpel, and each fruit was immediately placed in an autoclaved container with a nutrient solution.’
- ‘In angiosperms, trichomes may occur on leaves, petals, stems, petioles, peduncles and seed coats, depending on the species.’
- ‘The reddish colour of the depistillated flower and its peduncle is a response to high light intensities during anthesis and should not be interpreted to indicate senescence.’
- 1.1Zoology A stalk-like part by which an organ is attached to an animal's body, or by which a barnacle or other sedentary animal is attached to a substrate.
- ‘The caudal fin and caudal peduncle usually have a pale yellow hue.’
- ‘The skin of the caudal peduncle is wrapped by dermal fibers at very steep fiber angles.’
- ‘The twisting action allows the animal to use the flukes in conjunction with the peduncle as a rudder.’
- ‘In addition to the tentacles, these extremities include the hypostome, the lower peduncle, which is committed to foot formation, and the foot.’
- ‘The body of the fish is measured from the tip of the mouth to the caudal peduncle (end of the body wall muscle).’
Mid 18th century: from modern Latin pedunculus, from Latin pes, ped- foot.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.