One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excessive concern with minor details and rules.‘to object to this is not mere pedantry’
dogmatism, purism, literalism, formalismpretentiousness, pomposity, pompousness, dullness, tediumView synonyms
- ‘So scrupulous, and so close to perfect: that's the impression the reader is intended to glean from such exercises in pedantry.’
- ‘There is much pedantry, but every so often there is stark beauty.’
- ‘To criticise animation for being too perfect may seem like pedantry and it's clear that a lot of work went into the film.’
- ‘As a director, his perfectionism / pedantry would have tested the patience of any producer.’
- ‘Sometimes the corrections are amusing exercises in pedantry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.