One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural pedaloes, Plural pedalosBritish
A small pedal-operated pleasure boat.
- ‘Our gear follows by pedalo, local boys providing an enthusiastic support crew.’
- ‘Paradise Beach has traditional water sports available such as water skiing, jet skis, banana boats, pedalos etc.’
- ‘All the latest marine hardware was there - from modest self-assembled rafts, with their homely oil drums and tarpaulins, to sleek, converted pedalos.’
- ‘There is a continual panorama on the water according to season and weather: sailing boats, ferries, pedalos, water birds, fishermen, swimmers and ever-changing skies and light.’
- ‘Got on a pedalo and pedaloed round the Serpentine.’
- ‘Mini club for 4-10-year-olds has a TV room, small pool, swings, slide, games and restaurant; activities include fishing trips, glass bottom boat trips, pedalos and pony riding.’
- ‘Complimentary activities include water skiing, windsurfing, snorkelling trips, glass bottom boats, kayaks, pedaloes, a floodlit tennis court, table tennis and the use of the hotel's fitness room.’
- ‘The hotel had canoes, pedaloes, sailboats and powerboats for the use of its guests.’
- ‘One day, in between dives, we decided to rent a pedalo to take us to the lower end of the lake, where we were told we would find something called La Rota, or wheel.’
- ‘I have been in touch with fellow councillors in Poole about introducing pedalos on the lake, which would be better than boats.’
- ‘From pedalos to parascenders, the Caribbean has them all.’
- ‘Rowing boats and pedalos can also be hired and prices start at £5 an hour per person.’
- ‘Man, I'm gonna get me a six pack and watch those pedaloes go.’
- ‘They are already planning their next venture - across Scotland by pedalo.’
- ‘Westport House has swan pedaloes, train rides, a fun palace, a hill slide, a slippery dip, pitch & putt, rowing boats and log flume rides.’
- ‘He then has to spend the summer ducking the paparazzi when all he really wants to do is go out in a pedalo with his girlfriend.’
- ‘Matagorda beach is a great place for watersports and the pair can try jet skiing, pedaloes, windsurfing and banana boats.’
- ‘It has an open-air swimming pool, canoes, pedalos and a pirate ship ready to take families for a sail.’
1950s: from pedal + -o.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.