Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small pleasure boat driven by pedals.
- ‘Th resort has a wide, pebble-strewn beach; you can rent canoes, pedal boats, kayaks, and beach toys.’
- ‘His mode of transport was a pedal boat such as you might see on some recreational lake in the US.’
- ‘All of the amenities are at hand, including tennis courts, squash, minigolf, windsurfing, pedal boats, kayaks, water-skiing, parasailing, scuba diving and fitness areas.’
- ‘The orphans enjoyed trips to the Aquadome, Fenit Sea-world, Blennerville Windmill, the pedal boats in Castlegregory and the bumpers in Ballybunion.’
- ‘One attraction were pedal boats, which ‘even children could handle’, said the organisers.’
- ‘Motor-driven launches, powerboats, pedal boats and rowboats are in great demand in the tourist spots of Veli-Akkulam.’
- ‘In the long run, the park will provide some entertainment to its human visitors too as the Refineries plans to make available pedal boats.’
- ‘As the pedal boat landed on shore, Louis and one of the men who was on the pedal boat carried Stephen off from the boat and laid him on the sand.’
- ‘Catering to the increasing demand for pedal boats, rowing boats, etc., are entrepreneurs, who have put up boat-building docks alongside the backwaters.’
- ‘But the only person the crew encountered was a white-bearded, obstinate Elmore Hays, in a pedal boat, who rebuffed calls to leave.’
- ‘For the energetic, pedal boats, rowing boats, canoes and rafts, will be available for hire throughout the weekend.’
- ‘It's quite something, in this dry country, to see women in burkas riding pedal boats in Herat's municipal water-park, as well as a lunatic asylum and a drug rehabilitation clinic in a country not known for its social infrastructure.’
- ‘In some cases pedal boats are fine and, anyway, there weren't any complaints.’
- ‘Earlier there used to be simple pedal boats for tourists, now a motorboat rips through the waters, streaking foam.’
- ‘The Corporation has procured two pedal boats, which will start operation soon.’
- ‘Silt from the stream is grounding pedal boats.’
- ‘The department that operates ten pedal boats has no life-jackets.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.