One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A smooth pinkish-brown nut with an edible kernel similar to a walnut.
- ‘Switch almonds with Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds.’
- ‘Today's crumble features bananas and pears, and a topping starring toasted pecans and bran flakes.’
- ‘This resulted in an oversupply of peanuts, soybeans, pecans, and sweet potatoes.’
- ‘Unroasted nuts such as almonds, cashews, pecans, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts and walnuts make an ideal snack food for would-be slimmers keen to get cracking.’
- ‘The most common foods people are allergic to include: peanuts; walnuts; pecans or almonds; and wheat and gluten.’
- ‘You could also use hazelnuts, Brazils, cashews and pecans.’
- ‘Nuts especially high in vitamin E include almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, and pecans.’
- ‘Scatter the pecans and dried cranberries in the tart base.’
- ‘Hazelnuts, both in the dough and praline, can be substituted with other nuts such as almonds, walnuts or pecans.’
- ‘Squeak has buried untold pounds of walnuts, pecans, and peanuts in my yard.’
- ‘Garnish with the toasted, chopped pecans or walnuts for crunch.’
- ‘My pecan trees produced large, filled-out pecans last year, but about half of the crop was damaged with dark spots on the meat.’
- ‘Roasted pecans, walnuts, or pumpkin seeds are a nice addition.’
- ‘Tree nuts include walnuts, pecans, almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, pine nuts, pistachios, and more.’
- ‘Half of those allergic to peanuts are also allergic to tree nuts, such as almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews, and often sunflower and sesame seeds.’
- ‘Stir in apples, pecans, parsley, thyme, sage, salt and pepper.’
- ‘Other common ingredients are crushed pecans and almonds.’
- ‘Many nuts are rich in it, including walnuts and pecans, as are cooking oils such as corn and sesame oil.’
- ‘There were almonds, peanuts, cashews, hazelnuts, pecans and Brazil nuts.’
- ‘Yes, this recipe is better known as a pecan pie with walnuts instead of pecans.’
Late 18th century: from French pacane, from Illinois (an American Indian language).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.