Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1mass noun A large absorbent moss which grows in dense masses on boggy ground, where the lower parts decay slowly to form peat deposits.
- ‘Germinate seeds in containers filled with a sterilized mix of equal parts soil, sphagnum peat moss and perlite.’
- ‘A common soil mix is one part sphagnum peat moss or composted bark or compost, one part vermiculite or perlite, and one part sand.’
- ‘The problem is that the chemical only lasts three to six months, and once it loses its effectiveness the peat moss will tend to either hold too much water or none at all.’
- ‘Well-rotted manure, leaf mold, peat moss or compost are just a few of the organic materials that can be added to your soil.’
- ‘Abelia will take sun or partial shade and should be grown in acid soil enriched with peat moss or leaf mold.’
- ‘Many gardeners prefer to mulch the beds with peat moss or grass clippings and do away with cultivating.’
- ‘If you want to add any amendments, such as compost or peat moss, work them into the soil.’
- ‘You could dig the trench and fill it with sand or mulch or peat moss and make it easy to re-dig.’
- ‘Sphagnum peat moss and sand can be added to amend heavy soils.’
- ‘Bark, rotted manure, leaf mold, peat moss and compost are good choices for organic ingredients.’
- ‘Seepaul said customers were also stocking up on manure, peat moss and miracle grow fertilisers for today's exercise.’
- ‘If the soil is particularly poor or has had problems with compaction, add at least 2 inches of peat moss, leaf compost, or other organic material.’
- ‘Add humus in the form of compost, peat moss or chopped leaves to improve clay or sandy soil.’
- ‘Next he filled the gutter with a mixture of weedless topsoil, finely screened compost and peat moss and planted his favorites - geraniums - in the mini planter.’
- ‘Make sure you wet the peat moss thoroughly, then just pack it on the butt ends of the cuttings.’
- ‘Whatever she uses to cover her newly planted seeds - sphagnum peat moss, compost or soil - can be applied with her flat sifter.’
- ‘When planting trees and shrubs, the more compost, peat moss and other amendments you can mix into the ground, the better.’
- ‘What about fertilizer, bone meal, peat moss, and all those other additives they are going to try and sell you at the garden center?’
- ‘Rotted cow manure, compost, shredded sphagnum, granulated peat moss, sawdust and ground corncobs are some materials that may be worked thoroughly into the soil.’
- ‘Look for one containing vermiculite and perlite, sphagnum peat moss, a little ground bark and sand.’
2A lowland peat bog.‘eight feet down in a peat moss at Strathmore’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.