Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A finely laminated mixture of ferrite and cementite present in cast iron and steel, formed by the cooling of austenite.
- ‘The structure now consists of free cementite and pearlite.’
- ‘The pearlite is responsible for substantial strengthening.’
- ‘It is important to note that higher silicon contents can promote pearlite and may increase the nickel requirement.’
- ‘Ductility and impact properties are principally determined by the proportions of ferrite and pearlite in the matrix.’
- ‘This reduces the amount of pearlite and improves toughness, ductility, and weldability.’
Late 19th century: from pearl + -ite.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.