One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A button made of real or imitation mother-of-pearl.
- ‘It was a light blue silk with small pearl buttons, but the buttons slipped effortlessly through the small holes.’
- ‘She wore a white linen chambray shirt that buttoned in the front with pearl buttons.’
- ‘Her skin was brown from the summer sun, and her blouse, green as the sea, had pearl buttons down the front.’
- ‘She had changed her clothes and was now wearing a black silk shirt with pearl buttons, a pair of black silk pants, and a pair of black leather boots.’
- ‘It has a tailored collar with top button loop, hemmed sleeves, matte pearl buttons, a double-layer back yoke with pleats, left chest pocket and a clean-finish hem with side vents.’
- ‘The woman was also clothed elegantly, her dress embroidered fancily with posh threads, and boots with pearl buttons.’
- ‘Almost immediately after the last pearl button on the bodice of Virginia's gown was buttoned, the doors to her bedroom burst open.’
- ‘A white shirt with the small pearl buttons leading down to the ivory silk vest, and matching ivory bow tie.’
- ‘Twisting lace vines snaked up the middle on both sides of the pearl buttons.’
- ‘The bird's-eye collar and cuff has tipped detailing, three dyed-to-match pearl buttons, and a vented drop tail.’
- ‘There are even stories of people pulling pearl buttons off the newcomers' shirts!’
- ‘Use a pearl button for the center embellishment instead of the seed beads.’
- ‘I unbuttoned the shirt, letting it fall ungracefully to the floor where each pearl button made a small ‘plink’ noise against the tiles.’
- ‘She was wearing a green dress today, green with pearl buttons.’
- ‘He was dressed in a black tuxedo with a silver shirt that had pearl buttons.’
- ‘Kirby buttoned each wrist while Nancy carefully buttoned each delicate pearl button going down her back.’
- ‘She was wearing an angora sweater with little pearl buttons mostly undone, to show off her navel ring and a wide swathe of cleavage.’
- ‘A pearl button that fell off a dress and rolled under a bed.’
- ‘Reaching for the small pearl buttons adorning the front of her dress, David continued.’
- ‘She chose a dark green working gown that buttoned from the neck line all the way to the hem in pearl buttons.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.