Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A calibrated instrument used to measure lung capacity in monitoring breathing disorders such as asthma.
- ‘Repeated lung function measurements using portable peak flowmeters have resulted in improved outcomes.’
- ‘All patients were trained to use the peak flowmeter.’
- ‘In addition, although 26% of respondents reported having a peak flowmeter, only 16% used it on a daily basis.’
- ‘Recent efforts to increase public awareness about asthma have focused on use of peak flowmeters, control of environmental triggers for asthma, and use of anti-inflammatory agents.’
- ‘Because of the reversible component of asthma, the use of peak flowmeters to determine airflow on a continued basis is practical and seems to have resulted in improved outcomes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.