Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nounmass nounNorth American
The down on the chin of an adolescent boy whose beard has not yet developed.
- ‘He was a pimply teenager with peach fuzz on his upper lip.’
- ‘He rubbed his chin, feeling the peach fuzz that was slowly becoming real facial hair.’
- ‘He had those horn-rimmed glasses on him and black peach fuzz on his upper lip and hair that was curly, but was so short it was like he was bald.’
- ‘Suddenly he noticed the face, the plump cheeks and peach fuzz.’
- ‘In addition to my long, uncombed light-brown hair, I had a mild case of acne, which looked considerably worse for being surrounded by an uneven growth of peach fuzz.’
- ‘Randy was bigger than Tom and was real strong from bailing hay, shoveling manure, and all his other chores, but he had thick curly blond hair and a baby face that hadn't started growing anything but blonde peach fuzz.’
- ‘We won't discuss the fact that Santa appeared to be 17 and incapable of growing peach fuzz, much less a full, snowy white beard.’
- ‘Joe Cobol knew Bolton before the mustache, before peach fuzz, even, when they were both enrolled in Maryland's prestigious McDonough School in the mid-1960s, then an all-boys military academy.’
- ‘Well, it started out as a genetic mutation without any hair, or with just that real fine peach fuzz that feels kind of like velvet.’
- ‘Facial hair can look cool at times but peach fuzz, on the other hand, looks like you forget to clean your mouth after breakfast.’
- ‘But sadly, no beard, no moustache, not so much as a soul patch… just barely a hint of peach fuzz that would suggest I needed to stand closer to my razor.’
- ‘She had a light covering of hair, almost like peach fuzz.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.